Disclaimer: Some of these links are affiliate links, that means when you sign up or purchase from these links I might receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. However, I only promote products and services I love!
I was looking at the calendar for this month and saw that today is the mother of all Taco Tuesdays. It is National Taco Day!
Mexican is one of my favorite cuisines, but with my gluten sensitivity and hypothyroidism I feel my best when I stay away from dairy, flour, and corn products. This means that cheese and tortillas are out of the picture. No worries!
I have found a way to still enjoy tacos and get more veggies in my diet. Enter the lettuce wrap!
This recipe for chicken tacos that replaces the tortillas with lettuce wraps. I have also swapped the cheese for avocado to replace that creamy fat consistency. To get some extra gut healthy nutrients I have added nutrient rich red cabbage, and lime.
Do I have your mouth watering? Want to make your taco vegilicious? Check out the recipe below:
- 1 lb of organic chicken breasts diced
- Spicy Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage (1/8 of a medium 2 lb cabbage)
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- 1 tbsp Bragg's Olive oil
- 1 lime cut into four wedges
- Take the diced chicken and put it in a bowl with a lid
- Add the taco seasoning and ½ cup water.
- Blend the chicken, water and taco seasoning until well mixed.
- Place a lid on the container and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating get out a skillet put to the side.
- Wash the tomato and cabbage and pat dry
- Take a cutting board and dice the tomato, onion, and cabbage and set aside
- Peel and slice the avocado then set aside
- Wash the lettuce leaves and let them dry on a dish towel.
- Place the oil in the skillet and heat gently.
- Pour the chicken mixture in the pan and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink.
- Take out the chicken, add the cabbage, and saute until soft
- Place a lettuce leaf on a plate and then add a handful of chicken pieces.
- Garnish with tomato, onion, cabbage, avocado, and lime juice.
- Fold up and serve