- Vegetables are a great addition to your BBQ.Whose says all you can grill is meat? Add veggies to the grill this weekend. Take asparagus, peppers, onions and portobello mushrooms marinate in organic balsamic vinegar and olive oil with some basil and Italian seasoning for half an hour then throw on the grill.
- Skip the mayo in your potato salad. Swap out your mayonnaise for an avocado. You’ll be getting nutrients and some good fat that will fill you up.
- Substitute fruit for sugar in coleslaw and other salads. Does the recipe call for sugar? Use a mango or pineapple to naturally sweeten the slaw.
- Make your buns whole grain or skip them completely. Are you paleo or just don’t like eating a lot of refined bread? Make sure the bread you have says 100% whole wheat on the label. If it has sugar added DO NOT buy it. The best brand I’ve found is Ezekiel sprouted grain. Feeling like you want to skip the bread all together? Go rogue with lettuce wraps instead.
- Go easy on the alcohol. If you’re going to be eating a lot this weekend you may not want to over indulge with your alcohol intake. Over eating and drinking too much will make you feel sick. Stick to one or two cocktails preferably of vodka or tequila.
- Drink plenty of water. If it’s a scorcher and you’re gonna be drinking be sure to properly hydrate yourself. Drink a glass of water for every alcoholic beverage. Try for 2 liters per day.
Hope this helps you stay on track. Remember just because it’s the weekend doesn’t mean you should throw away your good habits from the week.
Hope you all have a safe and happy fourth of July!
Want more nutrition information? Sign up below