Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. While April is the peak season is is also available from February to June and can be a nice addition to your weekly meal plans.
The best thing about asparagus is that it can be cooked in a variety of ways. You can boil it, bake, grill, or roast it. Another great meal planning hack is to make a batch and then keep it in your fridge and use it later in the week for other recipes. Top on salads or puree into a soup.
This time I substituted shallots instead of onions. Though these are in the same veggie family, they provide different taste. The shallot is smaller and reminds me a little bit of a cross between garlic and an onion.
I like to keep it simple and easy with my cooking. This four ingredient recipe will boost your immune system with the vitamin C from the lemon and grapefruit so it’s a nice winter veggie dish. Try making it tonight!
- 1 lb asparagus
- 3 shallots diced
- ½ a grapefruit juiced
- 1 lemon juiced
- Wash the asparagus and cut off the tips
- Place in a container large enough to fit the asparagus pieces lined up
- Top the asparagus with the shallots, lemon juice and grapefruit juice
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees
- Place on a shallow pan and drizzle the marinade on top
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender and crisp